Re: tlug: odd fs behavior?

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Scott> One of our people came in today to find most, but not all,
>     Scott> of the files in his home directory gone. [ ... ]
>
> This is a nfs-mounted directory (and so it should affect other people
> too; I'm not accusing NFS), or a local HD?

the fileserver has /home on a local fs, the workstations all mount it via
NFS.

> Have you looked at ~/.bash_history?

yes.  No luck there.

>     Scott> any ideas?
>
> (0) He overran his disk quota a long time ago and when the buffers got
> flushed ....

No quotas.

> (1) He left his terminal still logged in and somebody is trying to
> teach him a lesson.

Nobody does that here, we've only got a few people in the office, and they
all know that I'd kill anyone who did something like that :)... I suppose
it's possible, but extremely unlikely.

> (2) He did something really stupid, and is pretending not to know.
>
> (3) He didn't really want to work today.

The above two are equally unlikely...

> I've seen all of the above, but only (0) on a Linux system.  However,
> in that case old files should be safe, which doesn't sound like the
> case here.  It also involved a flaky MO drive.

I also tried unmounting /home on the server and fscking it to see if the
files might have gotten involved with an unattached inode and placed in
lost+found (that happened to ALL the home dirs once, back in Utah), but
the drive was compeltely clean..

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station