Re: tlug: diald (was: mouse fixed; now what about email)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Standlee and Family <e-w.standlee@example.com>

>As I have never ever gotten a ppp>ISP connection up under
Linux, please
>tell me whether this will be the easiest and best solution.

Well, if you wanted to do it the easy way, you wouldn't be
messing with Linux in the first place ;-)

But since you are, and also want to do Japanese stuff, all I
can say is: TurboLinux-J.  Especially for a beginner, this
is going to be the easiest way from point a to point b, in
my opinion.  It's what got me there, and it keeps getting
better and better.  The current release version in North
America is 1.2, and 2.0 will be coming out this summer,
sometime in July, maybe; I'm on 1.9 beta 2 right now and
beta 3 (the last one) will be out in a week or so.  The
development is being done in Japan, so 2.0-J may be released
first, with 2.0-E to follow.  Anyway, to get it Japanized,
all you basically need to do is download the Japanese RPM
packages from their FTP site, and there is even a tool
called TurboPackage that will essentially automatically
download and install them for you.  Once you're on the
Internet, this will be really easy.  Much easier than
dealing with the JE stuff, IMO.

Oh, if you haven't already asked your ISP whether they use
CHAP or PAP authentication, you'll need to know that.  Also,
find out (if you don't already know it), the recommended
init string for your modem.  Hopefully it will be in your
modem's manual, but if not, check the maker's web site.

I used Red Hat for a while before switching to TurboLinux,
but now I'm hooked.  Red Hat isn't bad on ease of use but I
think TurboLinux is nicer, especially for beginners.  And if
you like 1.2, just wait until you see 2.0 - yeehaw! :-)

BTW, no I'm not a stockholder or employee of Pacific HiTech
(makers of TurboLinux) :-)

Good luck,

Jonathan

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station