Re: tlug: diald (was: mouse fixed; now what about email)

From: "Eric Standlee and Family" <e-w.standlee@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: diald (was: mouse fixed; now what about email)
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 19:26:31 +0900

e-w.standlee> As I have never ever gotten a ppp>ISP connection up under Linux, please
e-w.standlee> tell me whether this will be the easiest and best solution.

I think that you should first verify whether your ISP uses PAP or not
then try use pppd manually.   If your ISP has shell access, you can
also use minicom to establish a serial connection with your modem.
The modem and serial connection is probably the easiest.  If your ISP
has the same modem bank for shell and PPP connection, you can then use
the same modem init string with PPP.  Connecting with minicom is
a good way to build your confidence.

e-w.standlee> My next question will involve installing Japanese Extensions into Linux.  I
e-w.standlee> have begun to read the JE-HOWTO.  But, I am affraid that I will have to ask
e-w.standlee> more questions on that too since it doesn't make sense even to a verteran
e-w.standlee> UNIX Sys/Ad like myself.

I think that it is okay to ask questions on this list.  JE is kind of
dying.  The big projects now are:

  PJE
  jrpm
  Debian-JP
  TurboLinux-J

You will encounter problems with JE if you are using a modern system.
I have some information that is kind of old, but newer than the JE HowTo
at   http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda/writings/linux-nihongo
I have to update that page, but it will point you in the right direction.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda   craigoda@example.com   http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station