Re: tlug: diald (was: mouse fixed; now what about email)

Hi,

On 31-May-98 Eric Standlee and Family wrote:
> As I have never ever gotten a ppp>ISP connection up under
> Linux, please tell me whether this will be the easiest and
> best solution.

A couple of things come to mind.

Are you sure that diald is the way to go with your ISP? I
remember a couple of years ago I spent a week trying to get dip
to work with a SLIP connection only to find out that the ISP
didn't support SLIP. moral: ask the ISP if they have a connect
script that Linux can use

Have you tried connecting with seyon first then switching the
line over to ppp? It's a little old fashioned, but it will help
you figure out what the ISP login sequence is.

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, you dial into
the ISP with seyon, manually enter your ppp login and passwd,
hang up without cutting the connection, then

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cua0 38400 crtscts defaultroute

should get a minimal ppp connection going. moral: doing things
manually first can make the steps you need to take a lot clearer.

You could also try a shell script to fire up pppd like this:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v ABORT BUSY ""
ATDT227-6771 CONNECT "" ogin: userID word: XXXXXXXXXX'
clues - this has been discussed a few times. Your answer might
be there.

http://tlug.linux.or.jp/ML/

HTH

Jim S.

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station