tlug: mouse fixed; now what about email

    Eric> I figured out how to get the mouse working.  I guess that I
    Eric> had chosen the wrong type of mouse.  After I killed gpm,
    Eric> restarted as ps2 type and /dev/psaux, then everything was
    Eric> peachy, and then I did the same for X.

Mice is still non-PNP, you gotta say what your hardware is.  Probing
might be possible, but usually people know.

    Eric> What about email/internet access?  I have no real experience
    Eric> with this.  As I read the ISP howto and the mgetty info, and
    Eric> the other notes, I get more confused.  I especially don't
    Eric> understand mgetty.

If you're worrying about mgetty, something went badly wrong.  Where
did your Debian come from?  CD?  FTP?  In any case, you should already
have configured your network stuff.  mgetty is only relevent if you're
expecting incoming calls.

If you're talking about a phone connection via ppp, this should be set
up by installing the relevant package from `dselect'.  (Although I
believe that's already installed in the base system.)  If that doesn't
set up automatically, then you need to edit /etc/ppp.chatscript and
maybe /etc/ppp.options.

I will admit that TurboLinux set up diald very nicely; it's a damn
shame that the last thing I need is diald coming up automatically at
boot, stealing the phone line, and stomping on the ethernet gateway I
want configured ;-) But that's my fault for not being a typical luser,
right, Scott?

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor:

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691