Re: tlug: what's wrong with `cat <<EOT | smail -t\'? :-)

Hi all,

On 29-May-98 Felix Morley Finch wrote:
>> You emacs types.  Sheesh.  All those shift keys.
>
> Nothing shifty about Emacs.  It's CONTROL we want :-)

OK, the last thing anyone on this list wants is a Emacs VS vi
 VS ? flame fest, so ponder  Eric S. Raymond's latest
'Homesteading the Noosphere' which points to a new area:

"This trend has interesting implications for the near future.  In
early 1998, Linux looks very much like a category-killer for the
niche `free operating systems' -- people who might otherwise
write competing OSs are now writing Linux device drivers and
extensions instead. And most of the lower-level tools the culture
ever imagined having as open-source already exist.  What's left?

Applications.  As the year 2000 approaches, it seems safe to
predict that open-source development effort will increasingly
shift towards the last virgin territory -- programs
fornon-techies.  A clear early indicator is the development of
GIMP <http://www.gimp.org>, the Photoshop-like image workshop
that is open source's first major application with the kind of
end-user-friendly GUI interface considered de rigeur in
commercial applications for the last decade."

What's next - an office suite that doesn't make the same
bloatware mistakes of M$? Perish the thought....

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691