Re: tlug: Pine and Reply-To

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 02:10:22PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> Now if only Pine were a graphical MUA  :-)
>
> But I did read on their web site that Pine 4.0 will feature things like
> clickable URLs, so that helps.  But I still wish they'd make a GUI Pine
> with a drag-and-drop folder tree and direct support for multiple POP and
> IMAP accounts on remote machines.  Then I could stop wishing for MS to
> port Outlook Express to Linux :-)

Gooey is as gooey does.

If you're willing to forego GUI and drag'n'drop, you can accomplish
everything else you're asking for (and more) using mutt, urlview, and
fetchmail.  Mutt is at "http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~me/mutt/", urlview is at
"ftp://ftp.cs.hmc.edu/pub/me/", and fetchmail is at
"http://earthspace.net/~esr/fetchmail/").

If you really want drag-n-drop, I think you could probably get something
working with a little hacking around.  I'd start with WindowMaker
(http://www.windowmaker.org/) and TkStep
(http://www.fga.de/~ograf/TkStep.shtml).

There is also this interesting thing for rxvt's at
http://dingus.mit.edu/ called "active tags" that lets you specify
arbitrary regexps and actions to perform when you mouse click on a
matching pattern in an rxvt window.  I still haven't had a chance to
play with this yet, but it looks *VERY* interesting.

I definitely prefer mutt to pine.  YMMV.  Japanified mutt with color in
on a system running qmail and procmail into maildirs exclusively (all
glimpseindexed) is one bangup way to process a *lot* of mail.

Run mutt in an rxvt with an xpm background under WindowMaker or
Enlightenment, and you'll blow away all those friends of yours still
playing with the Microsoft toys.  ;-)

Of course, you'll never ever finish tinkering ....

Regards,
--
Rex
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691