tlug: Re: NEC Aterm IW60

Hi Craig and all;
>If anyone has any Aterm IW60 / pppd / chat / ISDN
>hints, please send them to me....

Sorry, I don't have any hints regarding your NEC Aterm, but I did have a few questions...  I'm considering
purchasing one as well;  my system at home will eventually be a unix/W95/W95J (and possibly NT) boot selectable
system.  Do you know/have any firsthand experience on whether the NEC Aterms are a problem to set up/use under
English W95 (gasp... in a Linux users group - sorry ;-); I'm interested in how you make out setting it up under
Linux as well...).

Also, you mentioned that you with the IW60 you can also connect toe the NTT public network from within your home -
do you mean you can use your PHS phone as a cordless phone and and use it make/receive calls over the regular NTT
network (at the lower phone rates), like with the NTT PHS homestation??

It's no fun being the 'guineapig'...; I hope you get your Aterm/Linux bugs worked out.  gambatte ne!

Sean
sean@example.com

craigoda@example.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I've recently started to do dialup networking again.  I purchased
> an new Aterm IW60 that connects to both the INS 64 network and
> an internal PHS network.  It also has some analog ports on the
> back.  I'm having a problem getting the unit to work with PPP
> under Linux.
>
> On the same Linux box using a modem connected to the analog
> port of the TA, I can connect with this script:
>
> cow:~# cat connect-ppp
> #!/bin/bash
> #modem
> /usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -V "" ATZ OK ATDT53617270 " "' user craig /dev/modem 38400 crtscts
>
> # NEC TA
> # setserial -W -b /dev/modem spd_vhi
> # /usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" atz0 OK ATD53617270 CONNECT' user craig /dev/modem 38400 crtscts
>
> However, if I attempt to connect with the TA, the TA does not even
> dialout to initiate the connection.  I have used the TA to dialout
> using minicom with the atd command.   It appears that the chat
> script is not sending data to /dev/modem properly.  I'm not sure
> why.  At this stage I just want to see it connect to the remote ISDN
> router.  I can figure out the PPP stuff later.  Actually, at this stage
> I just want to see it dial out.  Any ideas?  I'm using a 14.4 modem
> right now and this is a little slow.
>
> For anyone interested, the NEC AtermIW60 looks pretty nice from the
> specs.  I can use a PHS phone in my house and connect to the
> NTT public network from the INS 64 net or I can local loop within
> my house and not pay NTT or the PHS NTT Personal companies anything.
> It also does 128 BOD over INS net.  There is a feature to bond two PHS channels
> to achieve wireless 64Kbps communications if I buy another TA and
> use them in tandem.  First I need to connect with PPP before I explore
> all the neat features.
>
> Regards,
> Craig

> Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 13 June Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Stone and Turnbull on .rpm and .deb packages
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691