RE: tlug: FW: Windows 95

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> On Wed, 27 May 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > what are you doing on this machine that requires so much ram?
>
> As an experiment, I turned off all virtual memory on a 64MB PII/266
> running 4.0 workstation today.  Rebooted and just let it sit there ... it
> was running the usual services, nothing special.
>
> Exhausted all physical memory within five minutes.  NT is a _pig_.  The
> bloody kernel pushes it into swap all by itself ...

yikes.  My main development machine only has 64MB of ram, and it only gets
into the swap when I have about 25 or so windows open, 3 of which are
netscape :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691