RE: tlug: FW: Windows 95

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> [...]

it would just dump core and die, but it wouldn't take the whole OS with
it.  Linux Netscape DOES do this if you leave it running long enough, and
that's what happens,... eventually.

> >i think one of the biggest inherent problems is that NT requires the GUI
> >to be omnipresent - at least, I don't know how to get rid of it and still
> >have the server work.
>
> I think you can't.
>
> >1. Better multi-processor support (PS - it's not SMP, it's something else)
>
> Can anybody tell me what it is?
>
> >2. Better available software base
> >
> >#1 will go away, probably soon.  #2 will take some more time...
>
> Yeah, #2 will take a while.
>
> BTW, thanks for the info that XFree actually does support drag and drop.  I
> wish people would start compiling it into their X apps.  I have to dig into
> X Clipboard and try that too, since apparently XFree either doesn't
> inherently do cut-and-paste between apps, or again, maybe people just don't
> compile it in :-(
>
> Jonathan

> Next TLUG Meeting: 13 June Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Stone and Turnbull on .rpm and .deb packages
> Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691