Re: tlug: Linux presentation tools (MagicPoint and Ewipe)

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 05:37:50PM +0900, Scott Stone wrote:

> How do these things compare to Applix Graphics?  Applix will do some neat
> realtime stuff now, but I haven't had time (or hard disk space at home) to
> play with it much.

I don't know.  I didn't spend much time with Applix.  It was much too
"heavy" for my taste -- I never liked the "suite" paradigm anyway.  The
Unix way of small point tools for small point tasks, with well defined
communications interfaces (IPC/RPC, environment variables, file handles,
etc.) appeals to me much more than big monolithic environments.

I bought it and never used it.  The user interface felt pretty clumsy to
me (at least non-intuitive).  I also had as much luck using the
documentation to try to figure out how to do something as I usually have
with MS software (i.e. little or none).  Anybody else notice how much
easier it is to extract technical info from documentation for command
line or text file oriented software than it is from gooeyfied stuff?

Regards,
--
Rex

P.S.  Most posts I've ever made in a day to tlug.  Sure is a fun
      acronym (it's Stephen Turnbull's fault -- he got me started).  :-)

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691