RE: tlug: FW: Windows 95

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> The people in your shop who like NT may not know what's wrong with that
> system, but I guarantee that something is.  NT does not normally behave that
> way.  Windows 95 seems very sensitive to hardware, though, and can really be
> made sick by stuff that isn't 100% off the rack standard parts.  Perhaps NT
> also shares this characteristic?   I can certainly state that Windows 95 is
> a lot more hardware-sensitive than Linux, anyway, so maybe NT also is.
> Linux will run fairly well on just about anything, even this lousy FMV
> sitting on my desk here :-)

When PHT had an NT server, it would crash fairly regularly due to the fact
that we had an NT Perl process that was kept in memory to serve CGI
scripts faster.  The only problem was, NT Perl wasn't cleaning up after
itself, so it would get bigger and bigger and bigger, and eventually crash
the machine.

My biggest gripe with NT is that after replacing it with Linux, the same
machine ran considerably faster and used significantly less RAM, and
needed significantly less disk access (probably cuz it wasn't eating into
the swap like it was with NT).

i think one of the biggest inherent problems is that NT requires the GUI
to be omnipresent - at least, I don't know how to get rid of it and still
have the server work.  Imagine running an X server on your UNIX webservers
all the time - GUIs, such as X and Windows's whatever, like to allocate
themselves a considerable amount of ram, which is why nobody runs X on a
server, unless they have some strange reason.

however, NT has the advantages of:

1. Better multi-processor support (PS - it's not SMP, it's something else)
2. Better available software base

#1 will go away, probably soon.  #2 will take some more time...

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691