Re: tlug: Draft of June 13 TLUG General Meeting Announcement

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> wrote,

>     Manuel> Anyway, the TurboLinux package seemed to install without
>     Manuel> any problems!  Thanks very much!
>
> But does it work?  Ie, get rid of the missing font error.  Inquiring
> minds want to know!

Of course, life is not *that* easy ;-)  The TurboLinux package
`VFlib-2.22pl9-2tlj.i386.rpm' also doesn't include the fonts
(likewise for the .deb package as I checked by having a look
at the included files).

Playing around a bit with VFlib and trying to understand the
`/etc/vfontcap' file, I guess one problem is that most of
the interesting fonts are commercial.  Nevertheless, I found
the following comment in `/etc/vfontcap':

# Use these for less cost.
#min|min5|min6|min7|min8|min9|min10|min12|min17|Mincho Font:\
#	:fc=scrn:
#goth|goth5||goth6|goth7|goth8|goth9|goth10|goth12|goth17|Gothic Font:\
#	:fc=bdf14:

So, I uncomment these lines and commented the lines above
these in the original file, which seemed to use a
`ricoh-heisei-mincho' font.  *And* I changed `:fc=scrn:' to
`:fc=kscrn:' in the above.  As far as I understand
`/etc/vfontcap', this leads to the use of X windows BDF
font files whenever the font `min' is required, as specified
by the following lines appearing earlier in `/etc/vfontcap':

###--------------------------
### BDF fonts (X Window font)
###
bdf14:\
	:ft=bdf:\
	:ff=/usr/local/font/bdf/k14:\
	:ox#0:oy#0:fx#95:fy#95:
bdf16:\
	:ft=bdf:\
	:ff=/usr/local/font/bdf/jiskan16:\
	:ox#0:oy#0:fx#95:fy#95:
bdf24:\
	:ft=bdf:\
	:ff=/usr/local/font/bdf/jiskan24:\
	:ox#0:oy#0:fx#95:fy#95:
bdf14sl:sl#20:fc=bdf14:
bdf16sl:sl#20:fc=bdf16:
bdf24sl:sl#20:fc=bdf24:
LED:ds=square:dz#60:fc=bdf14:
kscrn:ds=diamond:fc=bdf14:

After copying the required BDF files to
`/usr/local/font/bdf/' and running the program `bdfindex'
(included in the VFlib package) on them...IT WORKED (oops,
sorry for getting loud...)

It worked = it is fast (in contrast to being dead slow
	    without VFlib), but the fonts are very ugly, as
	    they are not really made for being scaled in
	    this way.

I guess (from `/etc/vfontcap'), it is possible to use the M$
TrueType fonts that come with Windoze.

Does anybody know whether there are any descent *free* fonts
available for VFlib?

Scott, one point I was wondering about in
`VFlib-2.22pl9-2tlj.i386.rpm' is, why is there no link

  libVFlib.so.2 -> libVFlib.so.2.22.9

in `/usr/jp/lib'?

Regarding MagicPoint itself, one not so magical point is
that there doesn't seem to be any descent support for
mathematics (i.e., big formulae with many super- and
subscripts, greek, and old german letters, fancy symbols
etc).  Of course, PowerPoint suffers from the same problem.
Of course, you can map in an Xdvi window to display some
LaTeX, but then it won't have the same background as the
rest of the display, I guess...or does it??

Cheers,

Manuel

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691