RE: tlug: FW: Windows 95

From: "Jonathan Byrne--3Web" <jq@example.com>
Subject: RE: tlug: FW: Windows 95
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 13:18:13 +0900

> setup. This machine has only crashed twice - once from a hardware failure,
> and once when he installed a rough beta device driver. Hardly sounds like an
> unreliable system to me.

I'd argue that he must hardly use the system!

My NT4J [I only use Windoze as work I promise] dies quite often :(
Did an upgrage from Serv. Pack 1 -> 3 in the hope that it would get better -
but spent about 3 days just trying to get the system running again after
that.

There was a time there it was dying a few times a day.   Not a single one of
the I-love-NT-gurus had any idea how to make it more stable - short of
upgrading to Serv Pack 3, or bumping the mem up to 128 from 64.
Wonder if I would ever have thought of either of those two solutions :P

The SP 3 upgrade didn't seem to help and I am yet to get some more mem,
so I live with a NT system that is about as stable as my Win95 ever was.

> However, MS kept plugging away at it
> and eventually produced a Windows that was superior to MacOS in many areas,
> and inferior in few.  Now it's Apple that is playing technology catch-up.

If this weren't a Linux list i'd take exception to the above.

> Microsoft is
> a powerful competitor with a ton of money available, and a proven track
> record of improving products incrementally until they are good enough to win
> a lot of people over.
> Un*x is enjoying a
> resurgence, but that doesn't mean NT is dead or that MS will go away.
> They'll fight harder than ever.

Think you are correct on those two point :/

tim :)
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691