Perens on New Distribution [was Re: tlug: Debian]

From: Totoro <riley@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Debian
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 05:14:43 +0900 (JST)

riley> Seems that there is a little bit of panic about Debian's future, now
riley> that Bruce Perens is talking about creating a new Linux distribution...

Do you know what the issues were?  Even if he doesn't do this, I would
be interested in hearing the good and bad points.  Did this have to
do with the file structure?

I'm a Debian Hamm user using alien 6.02.  I just switched from alien 5.x.
In my experience, alien 5.x did have some bugs.  In particular, I had
problems with permissions of the installed RPM files.  The permissions
of the files using alien 6.02 seem to be okay.

I did the move from bo to hamm a while ago.  It was nasty.  However,
most binaries are now in glibc2 format.  I've been pretty happy with
it.  Also, most of the major packages for Debian-jp hamm-jp are
in glibc2 format.  However, Debian-JP still lags behind Debian.

I'm going to go look for this Linux Weekly News.  I'm pretty integrated
with Debian write now.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda   craigoda@example.com   http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691