Re: tlug: VAIO 505EX vs. Moebius PC-PJ1

>Actually there is a linux version wish works pretty well.
It's called
>QSeeMe (a take off probably of CUSeeMe), but I used it
while taking a

I saw one on the Internet somewhere too, might have been the
same one.  Somebody did it for either an undergrad senior
thesis or a grad project.  What I really want, though, is a
Linux version of Internet Phone specifically (no, I'm not
going to hold my breath), because this Internet telephony
software can usually talk only to itself.  An Internet Phone
for Windows user can talk to an Internet Phone for Mac user,
but to the best of my knowledge, they still can't talk to
anybody who is using anything else.  And since the person I
talk to a lot uses Windows 95 and he isn't likely to bring
up a Linux system anytime soon, no change is in sight there.
I periodically suggest that he try it sometime, though.  How
was the sound quality of QSeeMe?  Internet Phone's
TrueSpeech codec is nice; on a good connection, it's as good
as a real phone, or very near it.

If there's a lot of packet loss or you're running video, you
need decent CPU horsepower, though.  Either of those things
could bury my Pentium 90.  Works great on my K6-166, though.

Unfortunately, Linux just doesn't have the installed base
yet to get the attention of developers of apps like that,
just like it doesn't get the attention of mainstream
hardware makers.  But if it keeps growing like this, it
won't be so unusual to buy a piece of hardware and find it
comes with an install disk for not just Windows, but for
Linux as well.  And the next thing we know, computer stores
will have a selection of shrink-wrap Linux software on their
shelves.

But in the meantime, back to reality :-)

Thanks for mentioning QSeeMe.  If it's not the one I saw,
then that makes two.  If it is, there's still one.

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691