Re: tlug: spam

    Ken> The CF recipe is well documented (though in Japanese
    Ken> unfortunately) at the following site:
    Ken> http://www.db.cs.kobe-u.ac.jp/Lab/Rinkou/Admin/Software/CF.html

That's fine; but many victims are using 1, 2, or 3 year old
installations.  Often they're not aware of what's happening.  (At
least so they say.)  Certainly they are not in a position to fix the
problem as easily as I did; they don't have the knowledge.

I'm glad that your ISP thought carefully about the issue.  I'm seeing
a lot more Japan-originated spam these days than I used to, but maybe
this will help.  On the other hand, some of it bounces off of Poland
before going through the US and eventually ending up back in Japan.

However, my point is simply that as long as your ISP allows _any_ SMTP
connections to leave its domain that don't get relayed through its
well-known mail host(s), it can be the home for a carpet-bomb type of
spammer.  I bet they don't filter outgoing SMTP from their PPP
customers, do they?

The ISPs, especially the big ones where the spammers can be completely
anonymous, have the resources to handle this.  The oddball Linux user
is in a much worse position.

Steve

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691