Re: tlug: VAIO 505EX vs. Moebius PC-PJ1

Knowing that Sharp OEMs a lot of their notes from Taiwanese
manufacturer, Mitac, I would be careful about the model you buy.  Many
people I know who buy either Sharp or Mitac notebook computers have not
been very happy with their machines.

However, in the case of running Linux, I do not know whether it will run
better or worse... My friends who have used either computer have had
problems in Win95, however, these are problems that we have never
encountered on other computers... or are problems that we have
encountered on other computers, but were not as easily solved...

Being that Sony is a new machine, it's an either/or... I have never
heard of anyone having problems with a VAIO, but I also have not heard
of anyone using Linux on VAIO either...

As for the keyboard and screen, I like the VAIO keyboard, but I haven't
played with the Sharp yet... The VAIO screen is using the NeoMagic
MagicGraph 128 video chip, so I believe Linux has support for this...

For the modem, K56flex simply means that it supports the Rockwell
standard, doesn't it?  in other words, it wouldn't be compatible with
USR's X2 supported ISPs (which there aren't too many of in Japan), but
if it could slip back down to 33.6k, that would definitely be good, but
then again, it says that it's Win95 software, so it is possible that it
is a WinModem or similar software controlled modem...

Anyways... just my thoughts...
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691