Re: tlug: Booting Linux on Sun

> Recently I received a sun ipx and I dont have a keyboard. I have linux on
> (RH4.2) it, I know it works alright when used with keyboard and monitor.
>
> I want to use it without keyboard. When I connect to port a I can start
> the silo boot sequence but it stops soon after network message
> (Appletalk...) . Does anyone know how to continue the boot sequence,
> and also how o send something like <STOP>a from a serial port?

I had a similar experience with an SS5 here.  I had cabled up an old 80286
laptop to the serial port, which serves as our "password terminal", to save
me explaining what Telnet is to the 30-odd PC/Pop3 users in the building.  I
set the necessaries to wake up the serial port in /etc/inittab, hit "kill
-HUP 1", found the custom prompt on the terminal, tried setting and
resetting my password, turned off the terminal and went away happy.

A few days later I had occasion to take the machine down and back up again,
and it hung halfway through the boot.  Turning on the terminal machine
presumably sent an escape through the wire (as a previous poster said),
and the boot proceeded to completion.

Cheers,
Frank B
Faculty of Law
Nagoya U
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691