tlug: Draft of June 13 TLUG General Meeting Announcement

Hello,
this is a draft of the TLUG June 13 meeting announcment.  Please
send me your comments at craigoda@example.com  If you find
an error, that is especially helpful.  After we check the announcement
for errors, we're going to distribute it more widely.  We should
have outlines of the talks online before the meeting.

The meeting will be in a different place across the street from
the old HSBC office.  Check the map for details.  We have a bigger
meeting room.  There is greater need for security and coordination
of cleanup activities.

If anyone else wants to do a demonstration of something, speak up.
Incidently, I've found that MagicPoint under Linux is awesome for
presentations.  http://www.mew.org/mgp
The last presentation I did at ATIP on Linux was kind of weak on
the graphics since I used HTML.  If I were to do it over again, I
would use MagicPoint.

Regards,
Craig

	      T O K Y O  L I N U X  U S E R S  G R O U P

			    M E E T I N G
			    *************

		       Open TLUG June 13 Meeting
		       --------------------------

		    All Open Source Groups Welcome
		    ------------------------------

Featuring a talks by
    Stephen Turnbull on Debian packaging system
    Scott Stone on rpm packaging system

All Linux lovers and supporters of open source code
and free software are invited to attend
the June 13 Tokyo Linux Users Group meeting.  Membership
is open to anyone.  There are currently no membership dues.

TLUG is a non-profit, non-political organization established
in June of 1994 to exchange information on the use of Linux
and Free Software Foundation tools.  TLUG has an active
mailing list, home page, and regular physical meetings.
Discussions are primarily held in English.  However,
everyone is welcome to attend.  We especially want to encourage
Japanese people to attend and will make efforts to
support a bilingual meeting.

The TLUG home page is available at
	http://tlug.linux.or.jp

Date: Saturday, June 13, 1998
Lunch Meeting Time: 12:30
Lunch Meeting Place: Tokyo JR Station Yaesu Chuo exit
Lunch Eating Place: HSBC

We're ordering pizza and dividing the cost.  Mr. Shigeo Honda
has volunteered to be snackmaster.  We will be eating the pizza
at HSBC.

Meeting Time: 13:45 or 14:00 (after we finish eating)
Meeting Place:   HSBC Securities Japan Ltd   ** NEW LOCATION **
	         Tokyo Branch
		 HSBC Building 10th floor
		 11-1 Nihonbashi 3-chome, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0027
		 (p) 03-5203-3925
		 (f) 03-5203-3699

-------

Most of the benefit of the meeting comes
from chatting with other Linux users and having informal
discussions.  Lunch is one of the main reasons for going
to the meetings for many people.  Everyone is expected
to pay for their own meal.

    ** Make Friends **

We will be meeting at Tokyo station on June 13th, Saturday
in front of the Tokyo station Yaesu central ticket gate at 12:30.
There is more than one Yaesu ticket gate, so be careful.  If you
know you are going and don't know what we look like, send
me an e-mail (craigoda@example.com) and I'll make sure we wait
for you.

Meeting Topic:

A talk on the Debian and RPM packaging systems for Linux will be given
by Stephen Turnbull and Scott Stone.  Packaging systems allow easy
installation and removal of Linux system.  The packaging systems
come with powerful dependencies that inform the user what other
programs are needed to ensure a functional Linux system.  For example,
the installation of the Japanese to English dicitionary xjdic is
dependent on edict and kanjidic.  An attempt to install xjdic
with these packaging systems will result in a search of your system
for edict and kanjidic.  If the programs are not installed, the packaging
system will tell you or install them for you over the Internet or from
CD.  The packaging systems allow the Linux user to find out information
on every program on their system, learn the contents of software packages
before installation, and find out what files were installed by what packages.
Both rpm and dpkg come with a command line interface and a menu based
interface.

How these packaging systems can be used for development of .rpm or
.deb packages will also be covered.

About the Speakers
------------------
Stephen Turnbull
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. Turnbull will speak on the Debian packaging system.  He is a long time
Linux user and an early member of TLUG.  Mr. Turnbull contributes to
the development of XEmacs, is the maintainer of the elisp Japanese to
English dictionary interface to edict, edict.el, and is one of the
principal authors for an upcoming book on Japanese support of Linux
to be published by O'Reilly Japan.  Mr. Turnbull holds a doctorate
in economics from Stanford University and is a professor at Tsukuba
University in Japan when he is not hacking Linux.

Scott Stone
~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. Stone will speak on RPM packaging system, a topic he is intimate
with through years of experience.  Mr. Stone is the primary developer
of Pacific HiTech's TurboLinux and TurboLinux-J which uses the RPM
packaging system for all its programs.  Mr. Stone is an active TLUG
member, is the primary system administrator for the TLUG server, and
is an active contributor to the free software movement.  The
TurboLinux-J Linux distribution that Mr. Stone developed is the only
commercially developed and supported Japanese Linux distribution.
Additional information on TurboLinux can be found on the web at
http://www.pht.co.jp.  Mr. Stone studied computer science at
the University of Utah.

Facilities and Equipment Overview
*********************************

At least the following hardware will be set up for demonstration.
    Sparc 2     "Sparky" Linux RedHat installed
    PPro 200    (the CDE machine) with Red Hat installed
    Pentium 100 "Deb-chan" with Debian installed (probably)
    Hub&cables

We may do a few installs.  Feel free to bring your own machine
or software.  People often bring their hard disks for an
install.  The meeting is usually unstructured.

If you are coming to the meeting, join the mailing
list by sending e-mail to majordomo@example.com and
including

  subscribe tlug
  end

in the body of the message.  You can get a feeling for
what the group is like.

For any instructions or info:
Joe Marchak
ph:  03-5203-3925
fx:  03-5203-3699
joem@example.com

Craig Oda
craigoda@example.com

We look forward to seeing you there!

  ******** HSBC HAS MOVED **********

         **** Be There on June 13th! ****

++++++++++++++++++++++++JR+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                  YAESU CENTRAL EXIT

 _________________                _________________________
            |     |              |
            | ANA |              |
            |_____|              |
                  |              |
                  |              |
 _________________|              |_________________________
 _________________                _________________________
                  |       (*)    |
                  |    Starbucks |
                  |      (mall)  |
 _________________|              |_________________________

       CHUO DORI    CHUO DORI   CHUO DORI
 _________________                _________________________
      |bridgestone|              |
      |   museum  |              |
      |___________|              |
                  |              |(*)LAWSONS
 .................|              |..........................
 .................                ..........................
                  |              |      ______
                  |              |     | HSBC |
                  |              |     | (new)|
 _________________|              |_____|______|_____________

       SHOWA DORI   SHOWA DORI   SHOWA DORI

    HSBC Securities Japan Ltd
    Tokyo Branch
    HSBC Building
    11-1 Nihonbashi 3-chome, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0027
    (p) 03-5203-3925
    (f) 03-5203-3699

    Meeting on the 10th floor.  Sign in as "TLUG" and the
    guard will phone ahead.

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691