Re: tlug: tin 1.4 with Japanese

From: Ken Harada <kenhrd@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: tin 1.4 with Japanese
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 17:01:02 +0900

kenhrd> craigoda@example.com <craigoda@example.com> wrote on Thu, 21 May 1998
kenhrd> 16:18:26 +0900:-
kenhrd> > Hello,
kenhrd> > I was reading through the tin mailing list and I stumbled upon a person using
kenhrd> > an unpatched version of tin 1.4 with Chinese.  This made me think that perhaps
kenhrd> > it can support Japanese with he proper configuration flags at compile time.
kenhrd> > Has anyone gotten unpatched tin newsreader to display Japanese properly?
kenhrd>
kenhrd> Though I have not used, I found a "ktin1.4" package in PJE.  Isn't it a
kenhrd> Kanji-nized tin?

Ken,
thank you for your information.  ktin1.4 is based on tin1.2.   The
binary package with PJE is linked to libcurses.so.1 and unfortunately
won't run on the systems I've used because libcurses.so.1 is fairly
old.  Most systems use ncurses3.4 now.  The PJE packages come with
source code.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to compile the
package from source.  The patch for ktin is good and offers good
Japanese support.  Unfortunately, it looks like there has not
been ktin development since 1993.

The development of a unified tin appears to be ongoing.  However, I have
not got it to support Japanese properly yet.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda   craigoda@example.com   http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craig

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691