Re: tlug: Hello, I'm a newbie and help!

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Manuel Chakravarty wrote:

> "Jonathan Byrne--3Web" <jq@example.com> wrote,
>
> > But to continue the commercial, I'm a former
> > Red Hat 5.0 user who would never switch back from TurboLinux.
>
> This actually is a very interesting point.  I'll get YAM
> (Yet Another Machine) next month or so.  So far, I am using
> Slackware, but with then four Linux machines to keep
> updated, I guess I can save a lot of work with a better
> packaging system etc.  So, I am planning to switch to
> another distribution.  Currently, I am considering RedHat
> and TurboLinux.  I am inclined to go for the latter, but I
> am wondering whether there is a *good reason* to do so
> (apart from doing Scott a favour or so).  One point for
> TurboLinux is that Scott already packaged a XFree86 version
> with the NeoMagic patch (three of the mentioned machines
> use this chip).  On the other hand, one might feel that
> RedHat, as it is the bigger company, might be faster with
> keeping pace with new developments.
>
> Related to this, two questions:
>
> * Is there Japanese support from RedHat.
> * I guess the Japanese version of TurboLinux comes with all
>   the English and the Japanese stuff, right? (E.g.,
>   documentation etc.)
>
> Any opinions?

Since TurboLinux uses RPM, you can install any of Redhat's contrib/updates
directly into TL as well, at least beginning with TL 2.0 (versions < 2.0
don't do glibc).

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691