Re: tlug: Slackware questions

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 11:37:13AM +0900, Michael Chiu wrote:
> 1.	How can I access the postmaster's mail?  His mailbox fills up
>   	quickly, and I have just resorted to deleting the whole mailbox,
>   	and making a new empty one, and chowning it to the postmaster.
>   	I am assuming that there's an easier way though...

You should probably be reading those messages... since they can tell
you when things are going wrong (or complaints from other sites, since
the postmaster address is expected to exist).  Perhaps the easiest
way to do that is to 'alias' postmaster to the real user that is
responsible for the mail server.  This is typically done with a line
in /etc/aliases of the form:
postmaster: michael

> 2.	Logging in via telnet is hellaslow... It takes about 45 sec to 1
>   	minute to login, but if I enter a wrong password, it tells me
>   	immediately... Is this normal?

It may be trying to look up the host name of the system you are telneting
from for security and/or logging purposes.  The real solution is to make
sure that name lookups are working correctly on the mail server.  The easy
solution for the narrower problem is to make sure the IP address and the
host name of the systems you telnet from are in /etc/hosts on the mail
server.

> 3.	E-mail logins can be slow at times, but I am not sure what is
>   	the source of these problems.  They happen, but then they go
>   	away after a while.

It could be name lookups (see above) or attempts to use ident to find out
who is running the task on the remote system doing the logging in.

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691