Re: tlug: Hello, I'm a newbie and help!

"Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com> wrote,

>     Manuel> You don't have to use `a' text editor, you can use Emacs
>     Manuel> :-) It's C/C++-mode is pretty neat (highlighting,
>     Manuel> formatting support, and *many* more things) and you can
>     Manuel> run gdb (the GNU debugger) as a subprocess plus many Emacs
>     Manuel> goodies like dynamic abbrevs, ediff, and stuff.  What else
>     Manuel> do you need?
>
> If you want a nice graphical frontend to gdb, dbx etc, check out ddd.
>
> 	http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/softech/ddd/
>
> I use version 2.2.3 fairly regularly. 2.99.1 (-> 3.0 ) is out, and
> supposed to be lot better. It works with lesstiff or Motif.

Thanks for the tip, but to be honest, I am one of those
wired guys who are proud if they didn't touch the mouse for
a whole day.  In the end, a *big* Emacs window plus two or
three bash shells (possibly running as sub-processes in
Emacs) and a keyboard is the fastest way to get things done.
Many windows and a mouse only slow you down, especially when
programming.

(I am well aware of the fact that for many users, who don't
hang around at their computer all day, this is not a
feasible approach.)

Cheers,

Manuel
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691