tlug: can't run X clients

I haven't been paying much attention to my Linux system
lately, but I finally managed to get X11 running in monochrome
mode on my ancient 256kb VGA card!  But... after X is running,
I can't seem to start client processes, in particular xterm.
When I'm not in X, it's in my path, but apparently not so (?)
under X.  If I try to start up an xterm through .xinitrc,
or an fvwm menu, nothing happens at all.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Know what's wrong here?
Does it have something to do with the mono server?  Has anyone
out there _ever_ used the mono server? :^)

Thanks,
Dave

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691