RE: tlug: Hello, I'm a newbie and help!

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> [...]

We're not paying him, I promise! :)

> <Note to Scott Stone: is there any way for him to get into 1.2/1.4 in one
> nice painless shot, or will he need to install 1.0 and the upgrade CD?>

1.2, yes.  1.4, no.  You have to do 1.0 first, then upg to 1.4.  2.0 can
be installed from scratch, though.

> >After the installation I'll be wanting to write some code. I'm guessing
> >that the easy to use development environments like VB and VC++ aren't
> >going to be available for Linux. Am I back in my University days with a
> >text editor and command line, or are there less labour intensive
> >solutions? Also, any recommended books?
>

> Emacs/Mule will work OK as an editor.  There is a GUI frontend available for
> the gdb debugger, and probably some other stuff as well.  I'll get back to
> you on that (e-mail me if I forget).  Recommended books: Running Linux.

I need to put my .emacs file up for FTP, so people can use it for
syntactic hilighting and such...

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691