Re: tlug: Re: Request for comments: Short TLUG article

Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> wrote,

> On Tue, 19 May 1998, Manuel Chakravarty wrote:
>
> > "Jonathan Byrne" <jpmag@example.com> wrote,
> >
> > > I think the way to go as a position for TLUG is to
> > > particularly promote Open Source, but to be soundly  behind
> > > the development of all kinds of software for Linux.
> >
> > This is an excellent way to put it, I think.
>
> Personally, though, I get more excited when I hear about a new commercial
> software release for Linux than I do when I hear about a new free software
> release (Unless it's a new emulator for something :) ).  When commercial
> stuff gets released, it adds credibility and 'supported software support'
> to the OS, which makes it more likely to attract more users and switch
> people away from Win95/MacOS.

Right, but in the end the open stuff is our very basis and
it needs voluntary support (in a technical and political
sense) to grow.  Furthermore, I think, it is important that
more companies try an open software development model, like
Netscape did (while still earning money with the very same
software) -- and to be fair, I think, we must say PHT does.
Still, we should make it clear that we consider companies
developing commercial software for Linux our friends.

Manuel
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691