Re: tlug: Re: Request for comments: Short TLUG article

> If TLUG ever becomes really big, I think that we should
> encourage the development of a larger Open Software Group in
> Japan.  The reason for this is that IMHO one of the major
> reasons for the existence of TLUG is to talk to other people
> that use Linux.  Some people may use commercial software
> like Applixware-J, WordPerfect, and Empress.  Other people may
> use tools like FSF Emacs, LaTeX, and PostgreSQL.  These people
> may have different philosophical differences on software
> licenses, but they are joined together by an interest in Linux.

I think, the very fact that somebody is interested in Linux
(apart when it is for hostile reasons ;-) means he or she is
at least open to the idea of Open Source.  For the same
reason, due to the fact that TLUG is a Linux-oriented group,
it is by its very nature related to Open Source.
Nevertheless, it would be unwise and, I think, not fair to
position TLUG against commercial software par se.

Overall, it might be a nice goal to try to deepen the
understanding that the Open Source idea and `making money
with software' harmonizes very well (as long as nobody is
trying to monopolize part of the software market).  I think,
in this spirit to promote Open Source is a very nice idea.

Just my personal opinion,

Manuel

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691