tlug: TLUG May Nomikai Events

Tokyo Linux Users Group
May Party Events
May 15, 1998 Friday
C. Oda

I'm still recovering from May TLUG Nomikai.  It was really intense.
We had a large gathering of people at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo
ticket gate at 19:15.  Fortunately, I waved enough Linux magazines around
to gain some attention.  When we got to Tengu, Joe Marchak had already
arranged for three tables to be allocated for TLUG usage.  The tables
were in the basement, next to the wall.  This was the same area as
the last TLUG gathering and came to be known as the TLUG corner.
Around 30 people showed up and we were seated about 10 people
per table.  Ken Harada prepared name tags for us.  Joe Marchak and
Craig Oda kicked off the name with a simple toast.  We attempted to
announce eVote and encourage use of the voting system, but the
party noise in Tengu made the announcement difficult to hear.
We ordered food in units of six, two per table.  To start things
off we ordered six pitchers of beer.  This went rapidly so we ordered
six more.  We had about 12 orders of karaage fried chicken, 12 orders of
tekkamaki, 6 gessou, 6 yakionigiri, 6 hourensou salad, 6 yakisoba,
6 magurotataki, 6 kotsuage, 6 cheese age, 6 yakitori moriawase,
a few bottles of wine, several atsukan and numerous other dishes.
Thanks to Joe Marchak for taking the initiative and organizing the
food orders.  Scott Perlman gave a brief lesson and demonstration
on wine pouring: http://www.hayama.net/~kenhrd/images/dcp00009.jpg.

Ken Harada and Marcus Metzler took pictures of the event.  Ken
loaded the pictures up to the web that night.  See the URL
http://www.hayama.net/~kenhrd/images/ for a summary of the pictures.

Tengu took the last order around 10:00 p.m.  There were several
meetings taking place during the nomikai.  Hikari Kitabayashi was
discussing an idea for a Linux fair.  We had a meeting for the Perl
Journal in which a lot of major issues were discussed. The notes
of The Perl Journal Japan meeting were posted to the
tpj-jp@example.com mailing list by Ken Harada.

After a lot of food and drink, the total bill came out to 3,000 yen
per person.

The TLUGers that made it happen: Ken Harada, Masanori Smiley Omote,
Alberto Tomita, Jr., Steve Turnbull, Ken Schwarz, Scott Perlman,
Hitomi Tomobe, Daisuke Sato, Yoshihisa Sato, Craig Oda, Klaus Kudielke,
Marcus Metzler, Urs Roesch, William Bond, Sean Mannon, Ronald Sears,
Chiew Farn Chung, Manuel Chakravarty (spelling?),  Jonathan Byrne,
Kiyohito Suzuki, Itsumi Kenichi, Solotskyy Mykola, Dmytro Kovalev,
Hikari Kitabayashi, Hiroshi Miura, Yoshihisa Kitajimu, Joe Marchak,
Hisashi Nakazawa, and Yurie Horita.

In traditional TLUG fashion after we closed the bar at Tengu we went
searching for more alcohol at Kita no Kazoku.  This nijikai was a
memorable event.  By the time Kita no Kazoku kicked us out, the bill
had gotten to 2,100 yen.

After the party at Kita no Kazoku, we hopped on to a train drunk
and headed over to a party at Ken Schwarz's house in Gakugei Daigaku.
Schwarz-san, thanks for hosting this extraordinary 3 jikai.  At the party,
Ken Harada posted the notes from his digital camera using Ken Schwarz's
phone line.  Great!

We got into a deep philosophical discussion around 3:00 a.m.  This
was partly due to us finding Ken Schwarz's liquor cabinet and
making friends with a bottle of malt whiskey.

I stumbled out of the party at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday morning.  Wow,
intense fun, good friends, and excellent conversation.  An awesome
TLUG event.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691