Re: tlug: [Q] Japanese newsreader usage

On Thu, 14 May 1998 craigoda@example.com wrote:

> I'm still interested in newsreader usage.  I'm deciding whether or not
> it is worth it to write some documentation on tin, a standalone newsreader.
> Tin was really popular in 1993 when I started to use it and was the main
> newsreader in the JE distribution. However, I sense that it may have fallen
> out of favor.   You know, I was just looking at the ~/.im/Config file that
> mew uses and it appears that I can use it as a newsreader in addition to
> a mailreader.  I guess that people are using the same tool for both
> e-mail and news?

Just for fun, I plugged in newsfetch and had it enter a japanese
newsgroup into my Pine directory. Works great! You can then read
news just like email, and since it's in Pine, it's also fast.

The docs that came with the rpm are scanty, so I don't know at
the moment how to connect to an authenticated server.

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691