Re: tlug: NEC AtermIW60 Init

> actually, maybe I will use it.  Anyway, I'm still having some
> problems with the serial port.  The chat script will hang
> at strange times.
Check whether flow control is working properly on both sides. I
had such effects when I configured an US-Robotics modem
incorrectly.

There is an easy check. Decrease serial speed even more ( maybe
down to 9600 baud ) and check whether the problems are gone
then. If so, flow control problems are very likely.

Unfortunately many peripherals allow turning off flow control
altogether ( for reasons I fail to understand.... ) and if by
bad luck you managed to disable you're in for serious trouble.
> Sometimes it will hang when expecting the OK and just wait there.
> I wonder if this is a serial port speed issue?  I'm specifying
> 38400.   I wonder if this is a funny speed?  I almost feel that
> there is some serial buffer or something I need to clear out.
Hehe.....you got the right hunch, I'd say. See above. But I fear
it's not the computer, but the box at the other side. It
probably overruns your computer with data ignoring the hardware
handshake signals.

That's why I have a serial interface analyzer and a logic
analyzer around......this stuff has helped me more than once to
track down problems of that sort.

                                Karl-Max Wagner
                                karlmax@example.com
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691