Re: tlug: Modem question

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Scott> A PBX is a PuBlic eXchange, commonly known as a phone
>     Scott> system...
>
>     Andrew> Not to be pedantic, but I always thought that it was
>     Andrew> "Private Branch Exchange", since it sits between the telco
>     Andrew> and phones within a company...
>
>     Andrew> I could be dead wrong on that though.
>
> To be pedantic, it's "private" because it is not a "common carrier,"
> managed by the "public" telephone company.  It's a "branch" because it
> _is_ linked to the public (ie, common carrier) network.  It's an
> "exchange" because it is capable of doing switching on-demand, and is
> not a collection of point-to-point circuits.

Well, ok.  I'm going to take svgalib's approach to 'pedantic', though, so
my brain just generated a compiler error (thanks, that just delayed
1.9beta2 :) :) ).

If you don't get the humor, nevermind - you probably won't unless you ever
tried to compile the svgalib version of xmame 0.30.0 ... and you left in
the -pedantic flag in the Makefile.. oh well.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691