Re: tlug: Modem question

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Stone <sstone@example.com>

>which modem.  A PBX is a PuBlic eXchange, commonly known as
a phone
>system...

A PBX is Private Branch eXchange, commonly known as an
internal telephone network. We have one with nodes in
Sapporo, Tokyo, Osaka, and Fukuoka.  If I want to talk to
someone in our Osaka office, I just pick up my phone and
dial their 3-digit internal phone number.  For an outside
line, I push the outside line button and it patches me to an
NTT dial tone.

Dial-zero types are easier for modems to deal with, although
I have also talked to people who couldn't get it to work,
even with Windows.  Perhaps some modems just can't do it.  A
PBX like ours is apparently harder for a modem to deal with,
which is why we had to run in a clear ISDN line.

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691