Re: tlug: Chat with NEC Aterm IW60

On Fri, 8 May 1998 craigoda@example.com wrote:

> cow:~# cat connect-ppp
> #!/bin/bash
> #modem
> /usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -V "" ATZ OK ATDT53617270 " "' user craig /dev/modem 38400 crtscts
>
> # NEC TA
> # setserial -W -b /dev/modem spd_vhi
> # /usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" atz0 OK ATD53617270 CONNECT' user craig /dev/modem 38400 crtscts
>

> However, if I attempt to connect with the TA, the TA does not even
> dialout to initiate the connection.  I have used the TA to dialout
> using minicom with the atd command.   It appears that the chat
> script is not sending data to /dev/modem properly.  I'm not sure
> why.  At this stage I just want to see it connect to the remote ISDN
> router.  I can figure out the PPP stuff later.  Actually, at this stage
> I just want to see it dial out.  Any ideas?  I'm using a 14.4 modem
> right now and this is a little slow.

You *did* uncomment the setserial and pppd lines for the TA, right?  The
code above shows them commented out...

I can email you my chat script/ifcfg script that I use on my TurboLinux
system with my AIWA TA, if you want.

I'll be interested to see if the NEC TAs will drop 50% of the packets over
a ppp conn like the AIWAs do.  If so, I have a fix.. (easy fix).

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691