tlug: Chat with NEC Aterm IW60

Hello,
I've recently started to do dialup networking again.  I purchased
an new Aterm IW60 that connects to both the INS 64 network and
an internal PHS network.  It also has some analog ports on the
back.  I'm having a problem getting the unit to work with PPP
under Linux.

On the same Linux box using a modem connected to the analog
port of the TA, I can connect with this script:

cow:~# cat connect-ppp
#!/bin/bash
#modem
/usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -V "" ATZ OK ATDT53617270 " "' user craig /dev/modem 38400 crtscts

# NEC TA
# setserial -W -b /dev/modem spd_vhi
# /usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" atz0 OK ATD53617270 CONNECT' user craig /dev/modem 38400 crtscts

However, if I attempt to connect with the TA, the TA does not even
dialout to initiate the connection.  I have used the TA to dialout
using minicom with the atd command.   It appears that the chat
script is not sending data to /dev/modem properly.  I'm not sure
why.  At this stage I just want to see it connect to the remote ISDN
router.  I can figure out the PPP stuff later.  Actually, at this stage
I just want to see it dial out.  Any ideas?  I'm using a 14.4 modem
right now and this is a little slow.

For anyone interested, the NEC AtermIW60 looks pretty nice from the
specs.  I can use a PHS phone in my house and connect to the
NTT public network from the INS 64 net or I can local loop within
my house and not pay NTT or the PHS NTT Personal companies anything.
It also does 128 BOD over INS net.  There is a feature to bond two PHS channels
to achieve wireless 64Kbps communications if I buy another TA and
use them in tandem.  First I need to connect with PPP before I explore
all the neat features.

Regards,
Craig

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691