Re: tlug: Linux/unix Books

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Sean Bennett wrote:

>  Hey - thanks Ken, David, and Jonathan
>
> To be completely honest, I live in a FreeBSD office (gasp!) which is what I'm
> *officially* learning, but Linux seems to be where all the excitement is recently.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I trust there are enought similarities between the two
> that O'Reilly's "Running Linux" book is still a good bet (??) (...just between us, of
> course I'll be creating a Linux partition on my home system... :-).

they're not that similar.  In fact, most of the tools, such as find, grep,
route, netstat, ifconfig, and others, are completely different.  The
devices don't even have the same names.... Linux and FreeBSD have very
different roots, and aside from the fact that they can be binary
compatible (using iBCS for Linux, or the equivalent prog. in FreeBSD),
they're very much different.

> BTW, "Tlug_3" (Tohoku) sounds like an idea....
>
> > > Does anyone have any recommendations on books to get started and/or books to
> > > avoid??  Taking that one step further, does anyone have books they are trying to
> > > get rid of??
> >
> > O'Reilly has arguably the best selection of such tomes. I personally
> > liked starting out with "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh. Anymore there...
>
> > depth of information you'll want. "Linux in a Nutshell" is occasionally
> > handy for its list of commands. These and the man pages will fill out
> >
> > Hey, someone from up my way! Maybe we can make a Tohoku Branch of TLUG.
> >
> > David Riley
> >
> > Hachinohe Institute of Technology
> > 88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
> > Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken
> >
> > http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp

> Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 13 June Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Stone and Turnbull on .rpm and .deb packages
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691