Re: tlug: Linux/unix Books

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Sean Bennett wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I'm just stepping (jumping_falling_crashing...) into the world of linux/unix;
> Does anyone have any recommendations on books to get started and/or books to
> avoid??  Taking that one step further, does anyone have books they are trying to
> get rid of??

O'Reilly has arguably the best selection of such tomes. I personally
liked starting out with "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh. Anymore there
is so much info on the web, I'm not sure that a book is really all
that necessary. The problem there is consolidating and sometimes just
connecting... As you're on a dialup it gets expensive, too.

Anyhow, the above book is pretty good, though it sometimes lacks the
depth of information you'll want. "Linux in a Nutshell" is occasionally
handy for its list of commands. These and the man pages will fill out
your knowledge quite well. I didn't find much help in the stuff I got
from Sams Publishing.

> Sean Bennett
> sean@example.com
> Morioka, Iwate.

Hey, someone from up my way! Maybe we can make a Tohoku Branch of TLUG.

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken