Re: Using local MTA re: tlug: Naive VM question

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Kei Furuuchi wrote:
> >
> > Many people here may take the internet access for granted so they may
> > not realize the meaning of using local MTA. But, it relieves time
> > constraint from me: I don't have to get connected to ISP to send a
> > e-mail or make sure it is being sent. MTA takes care of it at
>
> Umm, I don't exactly follow how this differs from using an ordinary mail
> client such as Netscape Mail or Eudora on any other machine.  For
> example, if I write e-mail on a dial-up machine, I can just send it to
> the outbox and leave it there until such time as I connect to an ISP and
> check my mail.  Or, I can have it automatically dial in and send it
> immediately.  How does this differ from what you're describing?
>
> I'm connected on a leased line, so it's easy to use sendmail for both
> mail I send from my Linux machine and also as the MTA for my Windows
> machine.  Connecting to an SMTP server that's only at the other end of a
> short Ethernet cable is a lot faster than connecting to an SMTP server
> at Geocities :-)
>
> But I would see much less advantage if I were using dial-up access.
> Once online, I could get great speed by using sendmail, but that would
> also dictate remaining connected all the time, something only practical
> during telehoudai hours.  The rest of the time - that is, when writing
> mail in offline mode - I'm not sure what advantage I would get from
> sendmail.

he means using sendmail on your local machine, so that when you're NOT on
your isp, sendmail will queue the messages for later delivery, and will
attempt to do so when you DO connect.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.