Re: Using local MTA re: tlug: Naive VM question

Jonathan Byrne writes:
 > Umm, I don't exactly follow how this differs from using an ordinary mail
 > client such as Netscape Mail or Eudora on any other machine.  For
 > example, if I write e-mail on a dial-up machine, I can just send it to
 > the outbox and leave it there until such time as I connect to an ISP and
 > check my mail.  Or, I can have it automatically dial in and send it
 > immediately.  How does this differ from what you're describing?

I don't have to be conscious about dialing, so do the applications.
The applications don't have to have fuctions like "send it later"
because it is not online now. So those functions are not sales point
anymore because Linux takes care of it. So someone might offer you the
applications free because it is simple and easy to accomodate.
In japan, local telephone calls cost 10yen per 3 min during 8am to
7pm. So I like to use telehodai or call during night. This requirement
is taken care by system, not application or user. So both don't have
to know about details. Things get much easier.

I think this applies to netday.
The government is eager to get schools online connected by t1.
But, is it necessary? I say just set up private network in school that
connects to the internet at night taking care of e-mails and
publishing webs but at daytime offers dial-up connection to PTA using
one public telephone. In this way the problems like infrastructure or
decency are solved.

 > What power management features do PC98 machines have that standard PCs
 > don't?

Please refer to http://www.teleport.com/~acpi/ .

PC98 spec. has nothing to do with NEC PC98 product line, which is
eventually given up. For NEC, it is confusing name to sell. Obviously
NEC has no say about naming.

Regards,
Kei.