Re: Using local MTA re: tlug: Naive VM question

Kei Furuuchi wrote:

> Many people here may take the internet access for granted so they may
> not realize the meaning of using local MTA. But, it relieves time
> constraint from me: I don't have to get connected to ISP to send a
> e-mail or make sure it is being sent. MTA takes care of it at

Umm, I don't exactly follow how this differs from using an ordinary mail
client such as Netscape Mail or Eudora on any other machine.  For
example, if I write e-mail on a dial-up machine, I can just send it to
the outbox and leave it there until such time as I connect to an ISP and
check my mail.  Or, I can have it automatically dial in and send it
immediately.  How does this differ from what you're describing?

I'm connected on a leased line, so it's easy to use sendmail for both
mail I send from my Linux machine and also as the MTA for my Windows
machine.  Connecting to an SMTP server that's only at the other end of a
short Ethernet cable is a lot faster than connecting to an SMTP server
at Geocities :-)

But I would see much less advantage if I were using dial-up access.
Once online, I could get great speed by using sendmail, but that would
also dictate remaining connected all the time, something only practical
during telehoudai hours.  The rest of the time - that is, when writing
mail in offline mode - I'm not sure what advantage I would get from
sendmail.

Inquiring minds like mine wanna know :-)

> from just using a pc. It becomes transparent internet unless I do
> netsurfing. Or is it called intranet?

An intranet is a private internal network utilizing Internet
technlogies, but which may or may not actually be connected to the Net.
A LAN with web servers and stuff on it, serving internal content.

> PC98 spec has the detailed power management called ACPI.
> I hope somehow Win98 could be successful because that comes with PC98. If
> PC98 becomes infrastructure,

What power management features do PC98 machines have that standard PCs
don't?

Jonathan