Re: tlug: Naive VM question

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> What's happening is that TWICS's MTA (sendmail or smail or qmail) is

sendmail

> doing a DNS lookup on the address that your machine gives in the HELO
> command of SMTP.  You are required to give a valid hostname according
> to RFC 1123, so you're in violation, too.  However, RFC 1123
> specifically forbids refusing mail on the basis of the result of a
> lookup of that hostname.
>
> Many MTA implementers think this is a stupid restriction, and that
> refusing to accept mail from a host with a broken HELO is a smart
> anti-spam device.  IMHO they're wrong on both counts, but I don't
> implement MTAs....

There are several anti-spam measures taken on the TWICS mail
system due to the high visibility of an ISP and the desires
of the customers.  TLUG is planning to move the main mailing list
from TWICS to the TLUG server this week or next week.  Alberto
and I will probably work on the transfer together.  After the
move, Alberto is going to be the main TLUG listmaster.   So,
in a few weeks, the mail policy on TWICS will not be an issue.

TLUG  members will be able to vote as a group on what if any
anti-spam measures we wish to take for the TLUG server.

Regards,
Craig

----
Personal: craigoda@example.com  http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda
soon to be:  craigoda@example.com
Business: TWICS - tel 03-3351-5977  e-mail craig@example.com

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: