Re: tlug: Naive VM question

    Kei> Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

    >> I can't see anything wrong with the headers you sent.  I don't
    >> know what you mean by "name conflict."  I'd need to see the
    >> whole bounce message, including all of its headers, from the
    >> listserv.

    Kei> Then I really don't know why the mail list does not accept
    Kei> this mail.  I thought seagate.kei is not registered on the
    Kei> internet.  The mail list checks that up and rejects it.

This is not the case; it's not the mail list.  It's the !@#$%
non-RFC-1123-compliant MTA at twics.

    Kei> Apr 29 02:13:21 seagate sendmail[2108]: GAA09092:
    Kei> to=tlug@example.com, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=2+19:22:18,
    Kei> xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp, relay=misc.twics.com.,
    Kei> stat=Deferred: 418 <root@example.com>... unresolvable host
    Kei> name seagate.kei,check your setup.

What's happening is that TWICS's MTA (sendmail or smail or qmail) is
doing a DNS lookup on the address that your machine gives in the HELO
command of SMTP.  You are required to give a valid hostname according
to RFC 1123, so you're in violation, too.  However, RFC 1123
specifically forbids refusing mail on the basis of the result of a
lookup of that hostname.

Many MTA implementers think this is a stupid restriction, and that
refusing to accept mail from a host with a broken HELO is a smart
anti-spam device.  IMHO they're wrong on both counts, but I don't
implement MTAs....

    Kei> I actually use fetchmail to download an ISP mail account to
    Kei> local spool file. Then use the local spool file to read a
    Kei> mail in this way I don't have to online to read a mail. The
    Kei> solution I come up with is to symbolic link INBOX to a new
    Kei> spool file whose name corresponds to new local mail
    Kei> account. But this solution is affected by the panic event
    Kei> that the file is erased. The solution should be to use
    Kei> fetchmail to respool the file which is used solely by VM.

I still have no idea what you're trying to implement.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: