tlug: How to fake out Pine

I'm hoping to find a way to fake out Pine.  My Linux machine at home is
sort of invisible on our network; that is, I have an IP address but this
machine is not known to DNS or mail servers on our network.  With a MUA
that knows about and talks to POP servers and is designed to use an
e-mail address and account name other than your local one, that's not a
problem. It doesn't care what my local userid or host name is.

The problem is that the only MUA I've found that takes Japanese input
under Linux is Jpine, a nice program as text-based mail clients go, but
it doesn't understand that it's not the center of the universe, so to
speak.  One way to fake it out that I've found is to make myself a
userid on my local machine that is the same as my userid on Geocities,
log in using that userid, then tell Jpine that the name of the host it's
running on is geocities.com.  Not very elegant, but it does work.

However, what I'd really like to do (OK, I know this is just being
stubborn, since the workaround above is in fact a workaround) is keep my
current userid on my machine (jonathan) and yet still have the mail show
that it's coming from jpmag@example.com, with the personal name
Jonathan Byrne displayed.  I haven't found anything in the documentation
that suggests such a thing is possible, but I just thought I'd throw
this out for discussion in case anybody knows of a way to make it work.

I wish I wasn't such a long way away from knowing enough about
programming to do something really direct about this; I'd love to just
hack Jpine so that it would directly handle multiple POP accounts.  And
then I'd want to do a GUI version of it and have all the niceties like
drag-and-drop, clickable URLs, the whole nine yards.  And as long as it
might take me to learn to do that, I might get it done before Microsoft
ever releases an Outlook Express for Linux :-)

Thanks for any ideas on how to fake out pine this way (or for any
confirmations that I'm trying for the impossible).

Jonathan
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: