tlug: Re:Linux - MO

> On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:
> I'm not highly familiar with MO disks, so I'd like to ask a couple
> of basic questions on using them with Linux:
>
> 1) Can Linux be booted from an MO disk?
>
> 2) Assuming the answer to the above is "yes," would an extremely small (only
> there for the purpose of backing up and restoring the system) fit on a 230
> MB MO disk?
>
> 3) If we're still on a yes roll here, can the boot device also be the
> backup/restore device, or does its containing the root file system preclude
> this?
>
> 4) Does Linux see MO disks as just another SCSI device, or are there
> supported and unsupported models?  If there are specific models that are
> supported, can you tell me some?

Well, my name is Jesus an I'm a new member of this list.

About the MO disks with Linux (I have a Sony SMO-521-1.3Gb MO unit)
and I install one time ago Linux in there, but I don't recomend do that,
because the diks after some weeks began to have some problems (too much
access "R/W operation") this disks have a live of about 100.000 cycles
too insuficient for Linux partition.

Linux see MO as a /dev/sd* where (*) is the unit assigned to the MO, if
you don't have any other SCSI disk MO will be /dev/sda

Yes,Linux with 230Mb can be installed.

And for the question about if linux can boot from MO disks: It depend of
the SCSI adapter, in my case AHA1528 no, but can boot with a boot disk
(A:) mounting as root the MO disk, or boot from DOS partition with LOADLIN

Excuse me for my low level of english.

  SSS k                   |
 S    k  k  u    u ppppp  | E-mail:jesusf@example.com
  SSS kkk   u    u p    p | A.D.A.M. n-723
    S k  k  u    u p    p |
 SSS  k   k  uuuu  ppppp  |
                   p      |
                   p      |
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: