Re: tlug: two problems

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
>
> look for a lockfile in /var/lock, possibly.

No lockfile in there or anywhere else.  I did a search on the whole file
system, and the only lockfiles were for the print spool.

> > The second one is canna won't work.  Starting it has no effect.  The
>
> what do you get when you try starting it manually from a shell prompt
> with:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/canna start

It said I needed to delete /tmp/.iroha_unix/IROHA, but examination
revealed that in fact there was no such file, and no such directory,
either.  So I created a .iroha_unix and started it up and everything seems
OK on canna.

The mail problem is still there, "Can't open mailbox lock.  Access is read
only" and it's driving my crazy.  The permissions of /var/spool/mail are
rwxrwxr_x and the permissions of /var/spool/mail/jonathan are rw_rw_ and I
*think* those are correct, but . . . ?

I did some checking on the permissions of pine and jpine as suggested by
Stephen Turnbull in his reply  (I'm using jpine, the RPM from PHT) and
found that while an ls -al on pine shows root root, and ls -al on jpine
shows 5131 wheel.  Since it used to work but doesn't now but I didn't
change anything and nobody else has access to this
machine, perhaps that isn't a problem. But on the other hand . . . ?

TIA,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution!
<URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: