No Subject

To: tlug@example.com
Subject: tlug: Linux and MO disks
Comments: Hyperbole mail buttons accepted, v3.18.1.

Jonathan Byrne--3Web writes:
 > I'm not highly familiar with MO disks, so I'd like to ask a couple of basic
 > questions on using them with Linux:
 >
 > 1) Can Linux be booted from an MO disk?
If it is SCSI and you can change the ID to 0 or one than it should work
if your SCSI controller has a BIOS and allows such things. I can boot from
my Jaz drive. I have an Asus P2L97S which has an Adaptec Aic7xxx controller
on board. I can set the board and the Adaptec Bios so that it boots from the
Jaz drive.

 > 2) Assuming the answer to the above is "yes," would an extremely small (only
 > there for the purpose of backing up and restoring the system) fit on a 230
 > MB MO disk?

Should fit I guess.
 > 3) If we're still on a yes roll here, can the boot device also be the
 > backup/restore device, or does its containing the root file system preclude
 > this?

How do you intend to make the backup. Onto another MO disk? Then not.
On the same disk you can always create a .tar.gz file if you have enough space
left.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics
Toho University
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, Chiba 274
Japan

e-mail : mocm@example.com
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: