RE: tlug: linux ease-of-use

>You know, I think it's generally good that Linux is becoming more
>desktop-oriented and easier to use, but if it was completely 'easy to
>use', it wouldn't be as much fun for a lot of people, don't you think?  I

I have to admit that there is a certain kind of enjoyment in doing that
stuff, but on the other hand, I also really enjoy an OS that works cleanly,
with outstanding integration between applications, and provides me with
Japanese-capable apps everywhere, etc.  We'd all like Windows 95 to be more
stable, but that's why I'm going to change to NT.  However, Windows 95 on my
K6 machine has *never crashed* in the 2.5 months or so since I built it (a
remarkable feat I attribute to the fact that the machine was assembled from
100% standard parts and has no goofy manufacturer shortcuts in it, unlike
the piece of junk I have at work).  An amazing record, I think.  It has
never been rebooted for any reason other than a software install that
required a reboot to take effect (yes, there are too many of those).

I think the really great thing about increasing ease-of-use in Linux is that
unlike the ease-of-use in Windows and MacOS, those people who still want to
get into the system up to their elbows and do it all manually can.  The
Windows/Mac approach, on the other hand, seems to give you ease of use in
exchange for making direct configuration of your system difficult or
impossible in most areas.  Linux is really ideal in this area, since someday
there will be a Linux that is a competitor with the desktop machines for
ease of use, but still fully accessible to people who want to directly hack
on it.

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691