Re: FSF Emacs 20.x [was Re: tlug: Intimidation? [was: Office suite for use under Linux]

    Kei> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> full MIME headers ;-) If you go the VM route, you must disable
    >> TM

    Kei> How do I set mail server in VM as I do in Netscape?

What do you mean by mail server?  Outgoing, VM will use
/usr/lib/sendmail.

Incoming, VM looks in the system spool file /var/spool/mail/<user> by
default.  To change this you set the variable `vm-spool-files'.  VM
will handle POP3 service, the format for the variable is given below.
If you have very simple password authenticated POP, then putting

(setq vm-spool-files '(("INBOX"
                        ".INBOX.crashbox"
                        "mailhost:110:PASS:kfur:*")))

in ~/.emacs will do the trick.  You might prefer to put that in ~/.vm,
which is the VM-specific initialization file.  VM does not do IMAP and
so on, and would require substantial hacking for that.  From Emacs
help-on-variable:

`vm-spool-files' is a variable declared in Lisp.

Documentation:
*If non-nil this variable's value should be a list of strings
or a list of lists.

If the value is a list of strings, the strings should name files
that VM will check for incoming mail instead of the default place
VM thinks your system mailbox is.  Mail will be moved from these
mailboxes to your primary inbox as specified by vm-primary-inbox,
using vm-crash-box as a waystation.

If the value is a list of lists, each sublist should be of the form

    (INBOX SPOOLNAME CRASHBOX)

INBOX, SPOOLNAME and CRASHBOX are all strings.

INBOX is the folder where you want your new mail to be moved when
you type 'g' (running vm-get-new-mail) in VM.  It is where you
will read the mail.

SPOOLNAME is where the mail system leaves your incoming mail,
e.g. /var/spool/mail/kyle.  It can also be a mailbox
specification of the form, "po:USER", where USER is a user
name.  VM will pass this specification to the movemail program.
It is up to movemail to interpret it and figure out where to find
your mailbox.  Some systems use special authentication methods that
are only accessible via the movemail program.

SPOOLNAME can also be a POP maildrop.

    A POP maildrop specification has the following format:

       "HOST:PORT:AUTH:USER:PASSWORD"

    HOST is the host name of the POP server
    PORT is the TCP port number to connect to (should normally be 110).
    USER is the user name sent to the server.
    PASSWORD is the secret shared by you and the server for
    authentication purposes.  How is it used depends on the value of
    the AUTH parameter.  If the PASSWORD is "*", VM will prompt
    you for the password the first time you try to retrieve mail from
    maildrop.  If the password is valid, VM will not ask you for the
    password again during this Emacs session.

    AUTH is the authentication method used to convince the server you
    should have access to the maildrop.  Acceptable values are
    "pass", "rpop" and "apop".  For "pass", the PASSWORD is sent to
    the server with the POP PASS command.  For "rpop", the PASSWORD
    should be the string to be sent to the server via the RPOP
    command.  In this case the string is not really a secret;
    authentication is done by other means.  For "apop", an MD5 digest
    of the PASSWORD appended to the server timestamp will be sent to
    the server with the APOP command.  In order to use "apop" you
    will have to set the value of vm-pop-md5-program appropriately to
    point at the program that will generate the MD5 digest that VM
    needs.

CRASHBOX is the temporary file that VM uses to store mail in
transit between the SPOOLNAME and the INBOX.  If the system
crashes or Emacs dies while mail is being moved, and the new
mail is not in the SPOOLNAME or the INBOX, then it will be in
the CRASHBOX.

There can be multiple entries with the same INBOX value, but a
particular SPOOLNAME should appear only once.  CRASHBOXes should
not be shared among different INBOXes, but you can use the same
CRASHBOX/INBOX pair with a different SPOOLNAME.

vm-spool-files will default to the value of the shell
environmental variables MAILPATH or MAIL if either of these
variables are defined and no particular value for vm-spool-files
has been specified.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: