tlug: ATIP Presentation

Hi,
I would like to extend a public thank you to the TLUG members
that came to the GLOCOM / ATIP offices to take part in my presentation
on free software and Linux.  A special thanks to TLUG member
Jesse Casman who organized and promoted the event.   Thanks also
to Cliff Miller, president of Pacific HiTech, who let me use
his Linux laptop for the presentation and operated the computer
as I was speaking.

The notes I used for the presentation are now on the web at:

  http://www.twics.com/~craig/writings/atip-presentation/

In addition to having a great time talking about Linux and hearing
the great questions that were brought up, the nijikai was a
lot of fun.

TLUG also benefitted from the meeting by getting the opportunity
to talk to people that want to help Linux.  Nobuo Ikeda,
managing research fellow for GLOCOM (center for global
communications) extended the support of GLOCOM to TLUG, including
possibly hosting a TLUG FTP site on their large bandwidth
backbone.   I also asked him about using the GLOCOM meetings
rooms and facilities and he said that he would be interested
in listening to any request we had.

This brings up the issue of the TLUG FTPmaster.  Both Pacific
HiTech and GLOCOM have mentioned that we can set up an
FTP site on their servers, however, we need someone to take
charge of this project and start implementing it.  We also
need someone to call OCN and arrange for the setuzoku jyouhou
for tlug.gr.jp to be registered so we can set up ftp.tlug.gr.jp.

I also had a nice talk with John Boyd of the Japan Times who
said that Linux is now a hot topic and was thinking of covering
it more in his computer column.

Cliff Miller of Pacific HiTech gave an impressive demonstration
of Japanese Applixware.  I'm thinking of asking Cliff if he
wants to do a joint presentation of Applixware Japanese, possibly
at the GLOCOM facilities.  In exchange for the marketing push
we give Applixware, we could ask for a special rock bottom
low price for TLUG members that attend the presentation.  What
I was thinking was for Pacific HiTech to have the CDs right there
at the meeting and to be selling them on that day only for
a special low price to TLUG members.  We might also ask for
a 10 percent donation to TLUG or something.  I'm thinking that
the main purpose would be to spread the word that there is
an office suite for Linux that supports Japanese.  I think
that this would help spread Linux in Japan.  Since PHT is
benefitting from it, we could request a special discount so that
the members benefit.

This is just an idea, I have not spoken to Cliff about this
idea yet.  Just seeking opinions right now.

Regards,
Craig

---
TWICS: Business: craig@example.com    Tel: 03-3351-5977 reception
TWICS: Fax: 03-3353-6096   support and sales: 03-3351-5481
Personal: craigoda@example.com  http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: