Re: tlug: Broken postscript in Windows, fixable?

    Scott> My wife wanted me to print out her resume for her.  She
    Scott> made it in microsoft word for Win95 (I don't have enough
    Scott> space on my linux partition for applix-beta..) .. ok, so,
    Scott> we have no printer at home.  So I said, okay, i'll print it
    Scott> at work.  I don't have MS Word at work.  So, I set up a
    Scott> 'postscript printer on FILE:' in '95 at home, and printed
    Scott> to that, ftp'ed the .ps file to work.  prints out, but
    Scott> looks awful - fonts are so low-res that they're barely
    Scott> readable... is there any way to fix the fonts in a
    Scott> postscript file?  Looking at the output from some .ps files
    Scott> generated by Linux netscape and emacs, I see embedded fonts
    Scott> in there, but not in the one generated by Windows... what
    Scott> can I do besides have her retype it on Applix here at work?

I do this fairly regularly with Japanese Word '97 and save the file
for faxing. In my case I just tell windows that its a generic
postscript printer. The fonts are true-type, so the driver generates
postscript code for the fonts. This make a 1 page doc about 600k, but
the resolution is fine. Assuming your using ghostscript for printer,
maybe what is happening is ghostscript is substituting some other
font. Old versions of GS had lousy fonts. Newer version ( 5.x ?? )
have much better fonts.

You might have switch it true-type fonts so that windows creates
postscript for the fonts themselves.

Just a thought.

Andy

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: